YAHOO! Toe up socks ...
I reused yarn from frogged 'zigzag' socks http://tinyurl.com/2bnv8t to attempt toe up socks for the second time, couldn't get feet into the first ones. This time I used 60% of the total stitches for the heel as opposed to the usual 50%, now they hug my foot AND I can get them over my heel, just need to finish making the cuff then wash. I like the yarn's patterning/colouring changes, shows up better on a plain sock vs the earlier 'zigzag' socks.
I used the following links for these socks;
- Wendy's toe-up sock pattern http://tinyurl.com/25uxap
- Turkish cast on http://tinyurl.com/2f86oh
- advice from Yahoo sock groups - see right side bar
- 32" 2.0 mm Inox circulars, 2 at once Magic Loop
- CO 12wraps/24st
- toe shaping, increased each side every other row with KRL, k2, KLL http://tinyurl.com/yvejgn to ...
- a total of 68 stitches around foot, 5" stockinette
- short row heel over 40 sts, (approximately 68 sts x 60%,)
- dec to 16 sts (next time will dec to 10 or 12 sts for a narrower back of heel)
- leg, 3" stockinette
- cuff ribbing, k2, p2 for 3-4" over 64 sts
[edit NB - should either use larger needles here or do cuff over 68sts or inc to 72sts rather than dec as cuff/bind off is a little snug, might redo this cuff]
- ladies shoe size 6, (foot and ankle 8 1/4" around, instep 11", leg 10" around)